Monday, September 12, 2005

God and Philosophy

Last night I was finishing up my reading for my philosophy class, I stumbled upon a section that captivated me.
"The world is not composed of religious and nonreligious people. It is composed rather of religious people who have differing ultimate concerns and different gods and who respond to the living God in different ways,"
-From "Life's Ultimate Questions", Nash.

I have always known that we are not to put things above God (other gods) such as money, success, or power, but I have never really thought about those who do not believe in a higher power, possessing their own religion. Everyone believes in something, and all people have something that concerns them ultimately. Whatever that object of ultimate concern is, that is their god, and that will have an enormous effect on whatever that person does or believes. I just hope that whatever my words or actions are, that I am reflecting on who my God is.

The Atheist lives their life according to their belief that there is no god, and his actions are based on that. BUT, THOSE OF US WHO ARE CHRISTIANS LIVE IN HOPE!! As a result of this why can't we be who we say we are? Why are we often called hypocrites?

One great philosopher (Dave) said, "Don't just do it. BE IT"!!
He was saying that actions alone will get us nowhere, if they are not accompanied with actually being who we say we are. People can see right through this, and if people can see this, don't you think God can?? I know that actually BEING a Christian is a high and difficult calling, but the atheist lives their life according to their belief, and it seems like we should be able to as well, because we have God to help us along the way.

We should be in constant prayer for our words and actions, that through them, God will be seen.

Ok, I'm off that sermon.

No comments: