Thursday, September 08, 2005

Captivated by soap boxes and poker


As I did my Intro to Bible Study homework, I couldn't help but laugh at myself. I had to purchase colored pencils for this assignment and others to come, because we are using colors and codes to tear the scripture apart (we aren't literally tearing the scripture apart, but rather, finding out what it really says). I finished my assignment, and I was thinking about the tone of our class.

I feel a little intimidated in there, because it is mostly guys in our class. It's almost annoying, because when someone makes an interesting comment, or sounds knowledgeable, there are others in the class that are almost mad, because either they do not see it that way, or they wished they would have thought of it first. IT'S A BIBLE STUDY CLASS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! We are there to find new ways to interpret scripture, which will not only help us in our own individual studies, but also if we lead Bible studies, we can go from a different perspective. People in my class need not get jealous or mad of the ones that know just as much as they, or more, because that's how we learn from each other. It's the type of class where interaction is important. If we do not have people offering their thoughts, the class will not succeed. Everyone needs to share, and although they may not be right, it's just one of the many differences of opinion in the Bible. There are the grounded facts that can not be argued or altered, but there are things that really do not matter, and will not further us in the Kingdom of God whether we are right or wrong.

**Steps off soap-box**

I just bought the book Captivating last night, for 50% off!!! I have been wanting to read this book for some time, and I really should have started it in the summer when I had more time. I am excited for what I am about to learn from this, because I have heard nothing but wonderful things about this book. I think Jacquie is also reading it, so I hope to be able to compare thoughts with her, or anyone else that is reading it.

I am having serious poker withdrawal. I was supposed to play the other night with some frat boys, but they ended up not being able to play; most likely because it's rush week. My game is Texas Hold'Em, and I need to find people that will play. I think most likely I will find guys, because these southern bells do not play. That's ok, my friend Fox told me I'm "one of the guys" anyway. Great. Just what I always wanted to be called by a guy.

That's it for now.

2 comments:

Shaundra said...

Oh, you can't touch my poker skills. Especially now that I have the chip that has John 10:28 printed on it, and the fact that it says, "Jesus knows how to hold'em".

Wags said...

I'm glad to hear you're in the swing of things again Shaundra... I'd come and play poker with ya if I was closer!