Friday, July 29, 2005

Rejoice with me; for I have found the check which I had lost!!

I got a pretty sizable check for singing in a funeral a few days ago, so I thought that I would put it away for tuition. I was on my way to church for a meeting, so I put the check in the coin drawer so I wouldn't lose it. I forgot all about it until the next day, when my mom asked me about it. I went out to the car to get it, and the drawer was empty. I frantically searched the car, wondering if I opened the drawer and it fell somewhere else in the car while I was driving. I had awful thoughts that it flew out the window, because I have no AC in the car, so I drive with the windows down. My mom told me to search my room, but I knew that I didn't take it into the house. I am usually a neat freak, but last week was crazy because of working and VBS, so my room was a little ramsacked, so this was a great excuse to clean my room. As I figured, it wasn't in there.

I work with the girl who gave me the check, and I really didn't want to have to ask her to void it and write me a new one (I really didn't want to be payed for singing in a funeral anyway, because it's my ministry, but that's a whole new post). Anyway, because I was so insistent that I didn't put it anywhere else, my mom went out to the car and took apart the whole coin drawer/cup holder, and it turns out, it WAS in there, but it got caught behind it. She also found other papers in there from before we even owned the car, so at least I'm not the only one who lost something in there. I think it's funny that it was in the 'coin drawer,' like the parable of the lost coin found in Luke.


In other news, my grandparents from both sides are coming up this Monday. They are all riding together, because it's only my grandma on my dad's side, and they live in close proximity to one another. I'm glad that they are all coming. My grandma has a lot of health problems, so she can't drive herself far, and doesn't like to fly so much. They are all coming from Iowa, so things will be pretty crazy next week. Also on Monday, AUSTIN IS COMING HOME!!!! He's been in New York all summer, doing mission work for Athletes In Action.

As I type this, my dad is driving me absolutely crazy. The Cubs are playing, so his heart and soul is in the game, but when he yells at the television while stomping his foot, it gets a little annoying. I think we are going to ban him from watching Cubs games, because it's probably not good for his blood pressure.
For my sister's writing project for school this year, she wrote a poem to honor my dad in his love for the Cubs:

The Bipolar Cub Fan

There was once a guy named Brian,
Who loved the Cubs so much he felt like crying.
When they would win he’d be jumping for joy, but
When they would lose, my dad would blow a fuse.

He kicks, he screams, heck he almost
Blows up the TV screen.
He would pound in his chair,
The Cubs would fight a good fight,
But would they give him a winning delight?

Sometimes you wonder why he’s even a fan,
But then they would win,
And he’ll be as happy as he can.
So what can we say about this Bipolar Cub fan,
I guess we will never fully understand. -Sarah Bloomberg

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Glad you found that check, Shaundra.

Anonymous said...

hahaha I like that poem. Glad you found the check. Fox

Ang said...

i love finding lost things. sometimes, i think i would just like to lose things for the sheer pleasure of finding them again.

fortunately(?), it's just in my nature to lose things, so i get to enjoy this pleasure often, without ever having to *purposefully* misplace my belongs.

glad you found your check!!