Thursday, October 20, 2005

In the Gulf...

I meant to write about this before I left for the rest of the week, but it has been crazy these last few days.

Yesterday, I traveled to Mobile, Alabama for the weekend to help out with hurricane relief. It is my fall break at school, and this trip was offered through Union. I had other plans, but they ended up falling through, and then this trip came about. I prayed a lot about it, and I really felt God's call for me to go.
Since conditions are bad where we are working, we are staying in Mobile, at University of Mobile, which is one of Union University's sister schools. Each day, we are traveling to the different cities to help where conditions are the worst.

There are 20 of us on this trip, and we drove straight yesterday after classes to Mobile. This morning, we went to help out the Volunteers of America. We put together care packages, in which evacuees will come on Saturday to pick up. Even though the behind-the-scenes work needs to be done, I was really ready to get out there and do some hard work. Later today, during the hottest hours, some of us did some roofing...well, we tore off the roof anyway. It was difficult, but I really loved doing it. I think I've found my new calling....lol.

Anyway, I am asking you all to pray for me during the course of this weekend. It's a strenuous trip. It's hard seeing all of these things, and know that I can only help a little. It's hard knowing how much people have suffered from this, and I want to help as much as possible. This takes energy, in which I have absolutely none. Pray that I can have the energy to help with the physical labor, as well as seeking out opportunities when coming in contact with evacuees to tell them about Christ. Thanks...I might not get the chance to update again until I get back, so I will make a big post about it.

No comments: