Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Do you ever just have one of those songs..?

A Paraphrase From Psalm 23, arranged by Mack Wilberg

"My Shepherd will supply my need; Jehovah is his name.
In pastures fresh he makes me feed, beide the living stream.
He brings my wandering sprirt back, when I forsake his ways,
and leads me for his mercy's sake in paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death, thy presence is my stay;
One word of thy supporting breath drives all my fears away.
Thy hand in sight of all my foes, doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows, thine oil annoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God attend me all my days;
O may thy house be mine abode and all my work be prasie!
There would I find a settled rest while others go and come,
No more a stranger, nor a guest; but like a child at home".

This song has meant the world to me this year. We actually sang it my freshman year, and my director (Dr. Joiner...he's the greatest!) sometimes brings old songs back, and this is one of them. I did not fully understand this song my freshman year, but after everything I went through this year, I really get it. Everytime we rehearse this, I can barely get through it. Tears well up in my eyes and stream down my face, and Dr. Joiner always looks up at me for a few moments, and smiles. He knows what went on in my life this year. He called, many times, just to see how I was. He knows that this song is my prayer, my echo for what I have learned in my heart, and how true it really is. We are to sing it in chapel tomorrow morning, and I really hope it touches others how it's touched me.

While we rehearse it Dr. Joiner stops us, not because there were wrong notes or anything technical like that, but because we aren't feeling the song. He says, "With the exception of a few, you haven't suffered enough to sing this". He is so good about bringing a message or testimony when we are rehearsing, helping us keep the focus on what we're really singing about, and not just the technicalities of it.

1 comment:

Q said...

Shaundra sweetie! I want to hear YOU sing that song. I miss you! Sounds like your all involved in your college life. Good for you!! Let me know when your going to be home. We have a lunch date ok? Love you girl.