Thursday, October 27, 2005

I HAVE A PLAN!!

For the first time since I have decided not to be an education minor, I have devised a plan, which may get me to have a job other than being a waitress forever. This has been on my mind for quite some time, but it has always seemed out of reach and something that I wouldn't be good at. Ok, now I know you're dying to know what it is.

I have decided to graduate from Union with a Bachelor of Music (vocal), with an emphasis in Christian Studies. You might ask, isn't this what you're already doing? Yes, but there's more. After I graduate, I will come home, and go to GVSU or something like that, and pick up a minor in Psychology, and then off to grad school to get my masters in MUSIC THERAPY!!! Now, I realize another question might spring from this. Why do I want to keep the Christian Studies emphasis? Wouldn't it just be easier to get my minor here in psychology and then head straight to grad school? Yes, that would be easier, but I feel led to keep this emphasis, and I have no idea why. I know that I will use it somewhere down the road, but for now, I'm just walking by faith. PLUS, do you want me to stay down here forever??? Psychology minors are really easy time-wise to obtain, so it won't take me long, and that will be more time for me in Skeetown!

I have felt a tug at my heart everytime I see or hear about Music Therapy. I think that this is something that I have been equipped to do. It deals with helping people, and there are many different approaches to it. I am really excited that I have made the decisions necessary for the next part of my life.

1 comment:

Ang said...

In some of my teaching experiences, I've gotten to work with students with special needs. Watching the soothing effect of music has been amazing. One little boy with autism in Kindergarten last year, never sat still in class....often had screaming fits...and cried a lot, but when he came to music, he would smile...and sing along, always anticipaitng the next song and doing all the motions. It was beautiful. Everyday that I left that class, I was so excited and inspired. He made my job even more satisfying. His classroom teacher begged me to go into music therapy and stay at that school and work with him all the time. Sometimes it's tempting.

I think you will love your new direction.