Monday, June 25, 2012

"Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength"

"To wait on God means to pause and soberly consider our own inadequacy and the Lord’s all-sufficiency, and to seek counsel and help from the Lord, and to hope in Him (Psalm. 33:20-22; Isa. 8:17)… The folly of not waiting for God is that we forfeit the blessing of having God work for us. The evil of not waiting on God is that we oppose God’s will to exalt Himself in mercy."
- John Piper

Psalm 33:20-22
"We wait in hope for the Lord; He is our help and our shield.  In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.  May your unfailing love be with us, Lord, even as we put our hope in you.

I'm working on my ability to really wait on the Lord.  Not everything in my life has lined up how I planned it would.  In many ways this is a wonderful thing.  When I was a senior in high school, I had my future ahead of me.  I didn't know exactly what was going to happen and that was exciting to me.  I did, however, have some sort of timeline for when I thought significant things would happen in my life.  So far, in my own terms, I am behind from where I envisioned I would be.  But, maybe I wasn't ready for the bigger things that I wanted at an earlier time.  God has taught me so much while I was waiting for answers in the past.  Also, my timing is not God's timing.  He knows the future and I do not.  So, what may be waiting for me is really God preparing me for what He has in store for me.

I know that "He is before all things and in Him all things hold together" (Colossians 1:17).  Also, Romans 8:28 says: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose".

These things I know in my heart and my mind.  But to actually put them into practice can prove difficult at times, for anyone.  Especially since we live in an instant gratificaton society; "we want what we want when we want it". 

This kind of mentality does not work for a Christian's walk.  Like I said, I know all of these things.  But sometimes I really just do not want to wait.  It's not even just in the big things, it's in the small things as well. Sometimes when I'm driving, I don't want to wait for the stoplight or the slow person in front of me, but I have to.  Other times I don't want to wait in line at the grocery store while I watch the people in front of me who should not be in the self-scan lane.  :-)

I do believe these small instances in waiting are good practice for me in order to be able to wait for the bigger, more important things. 


No matter what, GOD IS GOOD!!!  His time is perfect and mine is not.  God has a plan and a purpose for everything.

No comments: