Monday, June 18, 2012

Mayo Clinic...

In just a few short weeks I'll be making my way over to Iowa and Minnesota for a few days.  The Iowa part of the trip will be a very fun time as I'll get to see my grandparents as well as several of my aunts, uncles, cousins, their kids, etc.  My extended family is spread throughout the US so getting together doesn't happen but once every few years or so.  I think most of us are staying at my grandparents house, which Mark and I will be camping outside the house with our cousins.  I am especially happy because it didn't look like Mark was going to join me because of work, but he was able to get his work schedule all figured out (yay!).  We are actually going to be in a kind of caravan.  Since my parents, Amber & Mike and their kids are going, it doesn't make sense for us all to drive seperately.  We'll be riding with Amber & Mike and helping them with their kids, as well as sharing the driving responsibility. 

After we're in Iowa for a couple of days, Mark and I will be taking a day trip to drive a couple of hours to Minnesota.  This part of the trip will not be fun, but I suppose it is necessary.  I'll be going back there for what I hope is my last trip to the Mayo Clinic.  When I was diagnosed with cancer 7 years ago (has it really been that long??), I didn't realize I would STILL be going there to get checked out.  I guess the reason they still want to see me is because I was freshly 21 when it all started.  Even now at 28 I am still pretty young if it rears its head again.  I guess I'd rather be prepared and take the necessary precautions.

I get a tag edgy during these appointments.  They have occurred yearly since I was cured, but the last time I went they decided to put me on a bi-yearly basis.  These are the tests that diagnosed me in the first place so this is like dejavu for me; I get worried so I take it out on the people I love (mainly, Mark).  I guess I don't handle the appointment internally very well so I lash out.  It's completely not fair but thankfully I have a wonderful husband who understands me.  I am in prayer that I can find a way to enjoy myself even though this isn't a fun appointment.  I can enjoy the beautiful facility and the beautiful music that comes from the clinic.  There are such beautiful full-sized, grand pianos to play.  The Mayo Clinic encourages music and the healing effect on attitude it has on people.  Also, where we eat lunch will be fun.  We always go to the "Canadian Honker", which is a weird name but it has GREAT food!!  I need to enjoy these things and keep my feelings in tact so I don't hurt Mark's feelings on accident.

I know that whatever happens at the Mayo Clinic, God will hold me in the palm of His hands.  He has given me the most wonderful family and friends who love and support me.  I know I am safe with God, come what may.

No comments: